Opportunity for whānau to purchase Orakei homes
Date of release: 11 October 2018
Tēnā koutou te whānau
We are pleased to offer Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei members (whānau) an opportunity to purchase houses via a closed tender before they are placed on the open market over the coming months.
Our land strategy, energies and resources are now firmly focused on building quality housing for whānau directly within the papakainga, strengthening the heart of our community on Kupe Street. As a result, eight former Housing New Zealand properties outside this area that we purchased in 2015 and 2017 are now surplus to our development requirements.
Here’s how the process will work:
1. The properties are going to be offered in sets of two properties at a time.
2. A pre-notice will be sent ten days before the formal notice is issued.
3. A formal notice will be issued out to whānau via email. Whānau will have 20 days to prepare an offer from this date. All offers must be unconditional (i.e. no conditions) to be considered.
4. The properties will be offered on a provided sale and purchase agreement, and a reserve price for each property has been confirmed between Whai Rawa, our Registered Valuer and the selected Agent.
5. All interested whānau members are encouraged to put their best offer forward to purchase the site in the form of closed tender. The properties will be sold to the whānau member who has the highest offer above the reserve price.
Details of each house will be distributed via email and any whānau who are interested are welcome to contact Veronica Schoonraad (details to be provided) to organise a viewing.
Once the tender process is complete, any unsold properties will then be placed on the open market.
The sale of these properties will help us purchase all remaining Housing New Zealand land on the Kupe Street ridge over the next five years. This is a critical acquisition for us as a hapū: for it will see Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei regain land that is culturally and socially important, and it will grow our status as a significant land owner in Tāmaki Makaurau.
If you have questions regarding this please contact: email@example.com or +64 9 9722363.
Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa Limited